If you’re anything like me, you’ve had ENOUGH of the long, painfully cold winter. Thankfully, spring is here! I for one cannot wait for the warm sunny days & the grass to get growing. That means it’s almost time to pull out your equipment for those spring projects. These tips will help you get the most out of your tools this season.
This checklist from STIHL is a good starting point to get a good idea of the condition of your tools before using it.
Spring Maintenance Guide:
- Clean your equipment, if you did not do so before storing for winter.
- Thoroughly inspect your equipment, including the safety features, to ensure all is working properly.
- Re-tighten all accessible screws and nuts. (If there is one missing, we stock many bar nuts, screws & blade bolts)
- Replace the trimmer line on trimmers & brushcutters. (Trimmer line can dry out, so come in and stock up if you need)
- Inspect and sharpen, or replace, blades, as necessary, on all cutting tools and attachments, including chainsaws, hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, etc. following the manufacturers instructions. (We carry blades/chains & provide sharpening services)
- For gasoline-powered equipment, you’ll also want to start with fresh fuel. (If the machine you are using is a 2 cycle machine, we recommend getting fresh fuel & mixing with STIHL’s 2 cycle oil or purchasing STIHL’s MOTO-MIX premix fuel.)
- Purchase a minimum of 89 Octane fuel from a reputable brand name station. This applies for 2 & 4 cycle engines. The less ethanol in your fuel, the better. (Even better, we sell STIHL’s Moto-Mix or TRUFUEL 4 cycle fuel that is ethanol free & has a shelf life of 2+ years)
- Dispose of old fuel properly (including fuel left in equipment over the winter) – ideally, you will have emptied the fuel tank before storing your equipment
- Replace the spark plugs after 100 operating hours or as recommended in the manufacturer’s instruction manual. (We stock spark plugs for most makes & models of outdoor power equipment)
- Check and change oil, oil filter, fuel filter & air filter in your lawn mower and other applicable equipment, as required per manufacturer’s recommendation. (We sell all servicing parts for every machine that we sell including filters for Honda, Kohler, Tecumseh, Kawasaki, Briggs & Stratton & STIHL engines)
- If you have a lithium-ion/battery operated tool, we recommend you charge the battery on the manufacturer approved charger & check any extension cords & cables for damage
- Be sure that you have all the personal protective & safety equipment you need for the upcoming season. Inspect all old equipment for effectiveness & fitting. (We carry the full line of STIHL safety apparel for all your landscaping needs)
- Read your owners manual for any recommended maintenance
- Bring your machine in for us to have a complete maintenance & service performed on it, along with any repairs that might be needed.(We have fully trained friendly technicians who provide you with the best service to your unit. We have many different spring service packages & even have pickup/delivery available. Contact us for more information.)
Now you’re ready to keep your yard looking its best all season long! In addition to following these tips, always review your instruction manual at the start of a new season. These tips will not only help protect your equipment, but will help protect you, the operator, as well. For yard and garden projects beyond your capabilities, hire a professional. Need help finding a certified professional in your area? We provide many local professionals with equipment & would be glad to recommend some of them to you. Just contact us!